Chocolate Oreo Shell is pieces of Oreo cookies mixed in with melted chocolate and oil that hardens when added over a cool treat like ice cream. Try it on my No-Churn Vanilla Ice Cream to add some chocolate and cookie crunch to the dessert.
Chocolate Oreo Shell
If you have ever had a chocolate-dipped ice cream cone, you know about biting into the hardened chocolate shell to get to the ice cream underneath. Now, imagine some Oreo cookie pieces added to the chocolate. Need I say more?
Ingredients & Substitutions
Chocolate: I used one cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips in this recipe. You could use milk chocolate or dark chocolate if preferred.
Oil: Use canola oil or refined coconut oil to create the ‘magic’ that happens when the chocolate is poured over the top of a frozen treat. If you happen to use virgin coconut oil (as opposed to refined), you will get more of a coconut flavor in the chocolate.
Cookies: You just need 4 Oreo cookies that are roughly chopped to add to the chocolate and oil mixture.
How does the Chocolate Oreo Shell Work?
Well, it’s science, not magic, that makes the chocolate Oreo shell harden, but it is still really neat! It’s all about the oil in the mixture. The oil has saturated fat in it; when it comes in contact with something cold, the fat will harden. It’s not only fun to watch, but fun to eat! Add it to anything cold; it will not harden if added to room temperature treats.
How to Store
To store the chocolate Oreo shell, keep it in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a month. If you store it in the refrigerator or a place that is cooler than 65°F, it will harden and possibly separate. If it gets too hard at room temperature, you can put it in the microwave or run it under warm water to heat it up before use.
Can I Make This Without Oreo?
Absolutely. Just omit the oreo from the recipe below.
Chocolate Oreo Shell
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, or refined coconut oil
- 4 Oreo cookies, roughly chopped
- To a medium, microwave-safe bowl, add chocolate chips and oil.
- Heat the ingredients in 30-second intervals, mixing after every 30 seconds, until fully melted (about 1-1½ minutes total).
- Stir in the chopped Oreos.
- Allow the mixture to cool uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, or until barely warm.
- Serve over ice cream or frozen fruit*. The magic shell will harden after 2-3 minutes.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.